If it is your first semester away from home, it is only normal that you are going to get a bit homesick. You may look at the dorm room that you may have on your own and share with a roommate and feel like it is so different from your room back at home. A lot of college students who get homesick do not want to admit it but they feel it.
What you should realize now is that it is okay to be homesick. This is the first time that you are away from home for a long time but it will get better. With some changes with your dorm or apartment room, it will also start to feel like home.
Here are some signs that you are feeling a bit homesick:
- Social Withdrawal – Even if you already have new friends at the university, there will be times when you do not want to go out with them because you just want to think about your family and your pets back home.
- Being Pessimistic – You may feel a bit negative about the things that are happening to you even when there is no absolute reason for this.
- Decreased Motivation to Do Well in School – You are in college for your future. If you do not do well then you may affect your future as well.
You can start with the room’s temperature. One of the reasons why people get homesick is because the temperature and climate in the new place where they are living is different from how it was back home. If you are now living in a place that is so humid that you find it suffocating, you ought to find the best dehumidifier. The good news is that there are several ones available. For sure, you will find one that is lightweight and silent so it will not disturb you and your roommate when you are using it.
Here are other things that you can do in order to deal with homesickness:
- Realize that this is normal. If it would help, you can talk to someone that you trust about it. You have to know that it is okay to feel this way. The more that you try to hide it, the more that the feelings will grow.
- Try to become more involved in the activities that are being done around campus. This will take your mind off the homesickness that you are experiencing.
- You have to forget about drinking alcohol when you are feeling homesick. Alcohol can be considered a downer which means that you will feel even more pessimistic than usual. Try to become involved in more useful activities that will improve the way that you feel tremendously.
- Try to relax. For sure, you are aware of the things that you can do in order to feel better in general. If reading would make you feel better, then do it.
Managing your expectations about college life will help you cope with homesickness better. Learn more tips about coping here. You should not be one of those who will drop out of school simply because you cannot cope.